Friday, September 7, 2012

Swearing-in and Transfer to Site



The U.S. Embassy in Luxembourg could never get away with serving Coke and Fanta at a big deal, recorded-for-tv-news event like the swearing-in of 46 new Peace Corps Volunteers, but in Burkina Faso, anything cold and wet is most welcome.  My next taste of champagne, in a couple of years, is bound to knock me for a loop. Somehow I don’t think I’ll mind.


Rain threatened but held off long enough for the requisite speeches, oaths, congratulations and photographs in the garden of the ambassador’s residence in Ouagadougou.  PCV at last!  Wet weather forced the ‘after’ party at the home of the new Peace Corps Country Director indoors, though, but it was a great time to meet present and former volunteers and chat with PC staff.  Lots of food!  And more Fanta!


The day before swearing-in had been our big shopping day.  Those who were starting a new site had to acquire gas stoves and propane tanks, covered trash cans to hold water and other necessities.  As the basics were already covered at my house, I just bought a cot, which is quite comfortable, especially when topped with my REI camp bed, and will surely be much cooler than the foam mattress in hot weather.  When it really gets hot, in April, I may have to do without the camp bed.  I also picked up some plastic basins, wooden spoons and groceries, but together with my suitcases, water filter, bike, mosquito net, boxes of books and old-lady sick-room toilet chair (for emergencies) my pile of things to be moved to site was quite impressive.

Thrilled not to have to take public transportation, I was ready to roll at the appointed hour of 7 a.m., but true to his reputation, my traveling companion was late, so we didn’t pull out in the PC Toyota till almost 8.  Sanfo, my favorite driver, is easy to talk to, and my companion slept part of the way.  The 5 hour trip was pleasant and I was able to see a lot more than I had on the first trip by bus.  Among the noteworthy sights were a pull-off place where people can park to watch elephants, although none have been spotted lately, and a billboard announcing the final resting place of the 28 victims of a two-bus crash in 2008.  Glad I missed that the first time around.  We made a couple of short pit stops and picked up snacks of popcorn, sesame cakes and bananas. 

Children descended on the van from all directions when we arrived outside the courtyard.  They grabbed things out of the van and out of my hands and carried them into the house.  My homologue (counterpart) was there, too, and he had arranged to have the water man deliver a tank of water.  We immediately started dragging trash out and cleaning.   Even the 3-year-old was helping.  The boys knocked down cobwebs and sorted through the trash.  The girls and I scrubbed out water containers, swept floors, washed floors, washed dishes…  I perspired.  To celebrate a job well done, we went to the market for a few more necessities and I bought everyone a juice or, in one case, a beer. 
The cleaning crew.


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had help moving! Keep your posts coming; they are fun to read : )

    ReplyDelete